Gateshead Pubs starting with P

This is a record of Gateshead pubs starting with P, that has ever been, as best as is known.

It's open if the name is in red, 
Go get a pint, with a frothy head. 
If its name is in brown, 
It's gone..brown bread...dead
If the name's been changed
It's in a blue hue
And the new name
Is provided to you






Pack Horse 


Greenside Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 25/9/04
Rob's Score: 5
Originally called the Pack Horse but sometime during the 19th Century it became the Black Horse before, during WW1, it reverted back to its original name



As of 2016


Pack Horse 

   

Rob visited the wrong pub. This is the Pack Horse at Crookgate, Burnopfield. It is a few yards outside of the Gateshead boundary
 

Rob's Visit: 11/2/05
Rob's Score: 6     

 
This is the Pack Horse in Whickham  as of 2016.

Park Lane 


High st   Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 13/11/03
Rob's Score: 3


2016 Closed

Park House

253 High Street

1865 Abraham Eden
1879 W. Brown
1915-18 W. Wears (exors)
1934 Hy Oubridge

Park View Inn

2016. Previously called Nine Pins

Patent Hammer 


Gateshead  Now demolished
1879 J. B. Nixon
1915-18 Mrs M. White
1934 William Dixon

Pear Tree 


Felling   Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 7/3/04
Rob's Score: 0
Closed
1827 Charles Stewart
1855-82 Robert Bell
1894 Mark Liddle
1903-39 Alex Deuchar

Found here



2016 Now an Indian restaurant

Pelaw Inn 


Pelaw   Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 24/5/04
Rob's Score: 4
Previously called Pelaw Station Hotel



As of 2016

Perseverance 


Springwell Village, Gateshead  (Officially it is Sunderland but bah pooey)
Rob's Visit: 4/4/04
Rob's Score: 5
Closed. Perseverance, huh?


As of 2016

Pioneer Tavern

The Haughs, Blaydon

                                   
1856 Simon Hood
1902-15 William Collins
1929-31 John Vincent
!939 Charles A. Young

Phoenix

Was briefly called Gorilla in 1874 see entry under G

266 High Street

1879 J. Lamb
1915-18 Foord & Curley
1934 William Hornsby Heppell
1937-39 Robert Walton Curley- pub now called Curleys

Phoenix


Blyth Str. Chopwell, Gateshead. 
Rob's Visit: 13/05/05
Rob's Score: 3




As of 2016



Plough Inn 


Kibblesworth Gateshead
Rob's Visit: 6/8/03
Rob's Score: 7
1934 Charles Marshall


As of 2016

Plough 

 

Deckham   Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 16/7/03
Rob's Score: 5




Updated pic 2016

1844 Mary Miles
1846 Joseph Fenwick
1879  Mrs C. Kinnis
1915-39 William Bennett Bagnall / P. Bagnall

Plough


8 (at another time 14) East Street

1844 Paul Richardson
1853 T. Henderson
1865 Robert Spoors
1879 J. Anderson
1915 Robinson & Anderson
1918 J. Ferguson

In 1930 the premises were occupied by Gateshead & District Disabled and Ex-Servicemen's Association Club (later known as the Bombers Club). The photo shows founder members. If you look at the window you can see the words Plough Inn



Poachers Pocket 

 

Swalwell Gateshead
Rob's Visit: 3/10/04
Rob's Score: 6



Updated pics 2016
Formerly called The Crowley


The Crowley
John Rowell and Son Ltd, Gateshead Brewers.




Tenant
Charles W. Soulsby
George G. Graham
William Gillender
George G Graham
Ernest J. Douglas
Robert Burn
Date of Licence
5 February 1914
6 January 1916
2 October 1921
2 February 1928
9 October 1930
28 May 1931


Portland Arms (previously called Shakespeare)

    

Felling Gateshead 

Rob's Visit: 9/2/04
Rob's Score: 0


As of 2016

Potters Wheel  


Sunniside Gateshead.
Excellent Sunday lunches.  
Rob's Visit: 3/6/04
Rob's Score: 8
 


As of 2016

Prince Alfred

17 Prince Consort Road

1879 M. Sisterson
1901 W. Dewick
1903-06 Mrs M. J. Dewick
1911-39 R. Deuchar Ltd


Prince Consort

25 Prince Consort Road

1879 W.Telford
1901 Mrs E. F. Wilkin
1903 J. Todd
1905-11 G. P. Taylor
1915-18 J. Forrest
1925 John Smiles
1934 Joseph White
1939 C. Burton

Prince of Wales

Romulus Street

1865 Thomas Bird
1879 Mrs D. Hopper
1901-25 J. Chipchase & Co
1939 J. Aitchison & Co Ltd

Princess Alice Inn

Wrekenton High Street

In 1827 when the new Durham to Newcastle road bypassed the village in favour of Low Fell, the Wrekenton pubs suffered. However, locals from the quarries and collieries seemed to have sustained the numbers as the only disappearance has been the Princess Alice which was demolished when a lot of old Wrekenton was pulled down during 1938 to 40

1905 J. O'Hanlon
1906 Patrick O'Grady
1911-21 J. Phillips
1925-29 John Telford Hutton

Princess of Wales

Ellison Street West

1879 H. Brown
1901-11 Andrew Brown
1918-21 W. C. Brown
1925 J. Morrison
1939 J. Deuchar Ltd