Gateshead Pubs starting with G


This is a record of Gateshead pubs starting with G, that has ever been, as best as is known.
It's open if the name's in red, 
Go get a pint, with a frothy head. 
If its name's in brown, 
It's gone..brown bread...dead
If the name's been changed
It's in a blue hue
And the new name
Is provided to you






Gamekeeper 

  

Swalwell, Gateshead. Formerly  Known as 
"The Poacher"
Rob's Visit: 8/2/05
Rob's Score: 7 

The old expression of Poacher turned Gamekeeper lives on here

 2016. Now Jashn Indian Restaurant


Gardeners Arms 

 

Carrhill, Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 21/3/04
Rob's Score: 4 

1902 William English
1915-18 J. Dobson
1934-37 J. N. Hetherington

Closed, burnt..



Demolished

This is how it is currently


Gate Inn
Gardeners Arms

271 Bensham Road

1915-37 J. A. Simm

Gone

Saltmeadows Road, Gateshead

See where it was, on map,  here

1907-1911 Mrs Bridget O'Kane
1913 M. Jackson

Gateshead Arms 


Low Fell  Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 3/7/03
Rob's Score: 7  
It's had a face lift since this was taken.
Facebook Page

1841 Robert Hetherington
1846 W. Grange
1851 George Davison
1854-56 Charles Brinton
1858 J. D. Muers
1865 --Casson
1901-07 George Wilkinson
1906-34 Mrs Jane Anne Wilkinson
1935-39 H. Davidson
              Tommy Dawson
               Steve Barratt


In 2002 it was called Smart, but not for long


As of 2016

Geordie Ridley   


Blaydon Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 7/10/4
Rob's Score: 4

Now demolished (Feb 2013)


George

Bottle Bank

1782 Richard Dungate
1795 Mrs Dungate

George III

High Street, Gateshead

1811 Lister/Rowland
1833 E. Tickle

George IV (Previously The Sovereign, subsequently Aletaster)


1846-65 Henry Tully
1879-1904 Mrs Jane McKie
1904-31 Arthur Henry Barnes
1931-41 John W. Carr
1941-47 Thomas Arthur Allan
1947 Horatio John Rhodes
1937-39 Newcastle Breweries
1934-38 John N. Frazer
1938 Paul Pilkington

Per Local Historian, Bob Dixon
"Jane McKie who applied for a licence renewal in the September of 1879. J Barras & Co Ltd took over ownership in 1888. Newcastle Breweries Old Properties Ledger (1890 - 1960) shows the acquisition of the pub on the formation of the brewery in 1890. Jane Mckie renewed the licence in 1891.
Jane Mckie applied for planning permission for many of the houses in the surrounding area including parts of Hutton Tce, Worley Avenue as well as the shops and houses you see directly opposite the pub. It’s also possible that Lockerbie House and Dryffe House adjacent to the inn were built by her, as they were constructed in the same era and the town of Lockerbie, with the river Dryffe running through was her place of birth. The licence was later transferred to
Arthur Henry Barnes in October 1904, then John W Carr in 1931, Thomas Arthur Allan in 1941, Horatio John Rhodes in 1947. The register then ends in 1955.
Trade Directories for 1934 and 1938 show J N Frazer then subsequently Paul Pilkington at the George IV. It is not clear though as to whether they were managers or not."


George IV

Church Street, Gateshead

1827 John Hindmarsh

George IV

25 Bridge Street, Gateshead

1833 William Kenmir

George & Dragon

27 Bridge Street, Gateshead

1811 Cail
1833 William Whitehead
1838 T. Hughes
1846 R. Pidcock
1850-53 J. Simm
1858 T. Baker

Glasgow House Inn


Derwentwater Road, Teams
Known as "The White House"
Long gone, as is the Foresters Arms ("The Coffin")..opposite to Garage/Service Station

Glass Makers' Arms

New Chatham, Pipewellgate

1846-50  J. Ingles
1853 G. Wright
1858 J. Robson

Globe 

 

Deckham Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 9/2/04
Rob's Score: 4  
 


As of 2016


Globe Inn

Pipewellgate

1912 William Lockie

Globe Inn

St. Edmunds Place

1865 M. A. Lewis
1913-18 H. Fail & Co.
1934 George G. Graham
1937 J. Rowell & Son


The Gloucester 


Gateshead.      
Rob's Visit: 22/7/03
Rob's Score: 6
           


As of 2017

Glynn's Head

Bottle Bank

1782 T. & W. Taylor
1782 J. Thompson

Goat Inn (the "Navvies")
(from about 1672)
Other names were
1616 Bell of the Hoop
1627 Spread Eagle


39 Bottle Bank
1782 Mrs Trotter
1790 Nicholas Weatherby
1795 Mrs Weatherby
1802 Mr Bertram


1811 Willie
1827 George Stobbart
1838-50 J. Turnbull
1853-65 Jane Ilderton
1869 R. Gibson
1915-18 Duncan & Daglish Ltd

See the actual Goat statue shown on the above picture at Gateshead's Shipley Art Gallery

Goat Inn

Church Street

1844 A. Turnbull

Golden Fleece

309 High Street


1865 Elizabeth Lunn
1915-37 J. Deuchar Ltd
1934 Robert Chisholm

Golden Lion Inn


Winlaton Mill  Gateshead  
Rob's Visit: 13/5/05
Rob's Score: 6  
 
Winlaton was once at the centre of the local steel industry when a Quaker nail- manufacturer moved here in 1691. He set up furnaces and forges on the River Derwent at Winlaton Mill. A number of men were injured or died in accidents at this forge, used for tempering steel. Reports claim it that a number of these men were carried to this building. Here, they died. Now a pub, it exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include a number of male ghosts from those days. A photograph taken in this pub appears to show a middle-aged man sitting in the background, slightly out of proportion to the rest of the bar room. It is believed that this is the ghost of one of the men killed at the forge.
Now called Red Kite
1897 Henry Crisp
1903-05 John T. Maughan
1907-15 Mrs Margaret Maughan
1925-39 John R. Turner

Gold Medal 


Low Fell Gateshead 
 
Rob's Visit: 23/7/04
Rob's Score: 8
Recently renovated. Food excellent


Gorilla Inn

This was a name for the Phoenix/Curley's

264 High Street

1865 Joseph Newton
1874 J. Lamb


Greenland Bear

Heworth Shore

1833-38 John Gray

Greenland Bear

Saltmeadows

See White Bear


Greenland Yard

Felling Shore

1827 Ridley & Co.

Green Tree Inn

Felling Shore



1855  William Ward
1900? Julia O' Donnell


Green Tree Inn


Barlow, near Winlaton

1865-68 John Roddam
1914-21 Maria Little
1934-38 James T. Morrison
1942  William Newton

The pub was totally destroyed by a bomb during World War II


Green Tree Inn

Wrekenton

1858-68 John Henderson



Greyhound


Felling  Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 9/2/04
Rob's Score: 2

Was called The Gray Hound after the publican called Gray, 

but now has reverted back to the proper spelling of the actual dog breed

1858
1880 John McNaught
1894 Mrs Jane McNaught
1927 Mrs Isabella Harrison
1931 John M. Harrison
1939 Davison & Wood Ltd


As of 2016

Green   

        

Wardley, Gateshead. Formerly known as "The Dixielanders".
It is built on the site of "The White Mare Pool"
Rob's Visit: 10/4/05
Rob's Score: 7  


As of 2016

Green Mandolin (aka Turf Hotel & Royal Turf Hotel)


Felling  Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 23/2/04
Rob's Score: 6  
Closed

Still closed, and ever more shall be so. Convert it to flats, somebody

Grey Horse

99 High Street, Gateshead

Used to hold inquests into accidents

1811 Trueman
1827-38 John Freeman
1844-50 Robert Blagburn (also an auctioneer)
1853 T. Richardson
1865 Edward Neilson
1879 J. Tait
1915-18 J. H. Graham Ltd

1934 Henry George Bisset



Grey Mare Inn

Eighton Banks

1906 George Armstrong
1925 John Brown
1934-38 Robert Gaffing

Grey Nags Head 


High St., Gateshead  
Rob's Visit: 15/8/03
Rob's Score: 6


1879 N. Simm
1915 J. Deuchar Ltd
1934 William A. Grieves


Updated photo 2016

Grindstone Inn/Tavern

Felling Shore

1848 Robert Wilkinson
1855 Isabella Wilkie
1877 Forster Stephenson
1880-82 Henry Beatie
1894 William Willshire

Grove 


High St Gateshead 
High St., Gateshead  
Rob's Visit: 17/11/03
Rob's Score: 3


As of 2016

Guide Post


Springwell Village, Gateshead 
 
Rob's Visit: 4/4/04
Rob's Score: 5 

1934 Thomas Liddle

Technically this is Sunderland, not Gateshead


As of 2016