Gateshead Pubs starting with M

This is a record of Gateshead pubs starting with M, that has ever been, as best as is known.

It's open if the name is in red, 
Go get a pint, with a frothy head. 
If its name is in brown, 
It's gone..brown bread...dead
If the name's been changed
It's in a blue hue
And the new name
Is provided to you






Magpie 


Beacon Lough East, Gateshead
Rob's Visit: 9/2/04
Rob's Score: 6  

Closed. Now demolished

Magpie

Askew Road

1844 William Shield
1850 Catherine Bell
1858-65 Adam Atkinson
1903 George Adie
1915-18 Swinburne & Co

Maiden Over   

 

Heworth, Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 10/5/04
Rob's Score: 5  


As of 2016

Mallard  


Felling, Gateshead
Rob's Visit: 23/2/04
Rob's Score: 2  


As of 2016

Malting House

 

Felling
Rob's Visit: 8/2/04
Rob's Score: 6  

1894 David Luke


Michael Crinnion, publican 1930


    


As of 2016

Marquis Of Granby  

Of military origin and commemorates one John Manners, Marquis of Granby who lived from 1721 to 1770. He was a brilliant soldier.


Sunniside, Gateshead
Rob's Visit: 4/6/04
Rob's Score: 7 
 1858 J. Golightley




As of 2016

Mary Queen of Scotts

Stewart's Place


1853 R. Coulson
1865 J. Bell


Mary Queen of Scotts Tavern

Old Toll Gate

1844 M. Coulson
1850 J. Coulson

Masons Arms

Whickham

1858 R. Brown

Masons Arms

Church Street, Gateshead

1838 Jane Hindmarsh

Masons Arms

Rabbit Banks

1850 P. Carrick

Masons Arms

5 Jackson Street Gateshead


Masons Arms is on the extreme right. The main buidings front
the High Street and the Masons Arms fronts Jackson Street

1838 Margaret Briggs
1844 William Wiggins
1850 Mary Welch
1853-65 James Cook
1879 T. Cleghorn

Masons Arms

Heworth Shore

1906 Edward Shell
1931 Henry Eaton

Mason Arms

Bill Quay

1827 Dixon Purvis
1855 Daniel Taylor
1877 John Ord
1894 George Shell
1902-05 Edward Shell

Metropole 


High St., Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 14/11/03
Rob's Score: 3  



Updated pic 2016
1896-2016 120th Anniversary
Facebook page
1915-18 Swinburne & Co
1934 John William Carr

Metz

Formerly Cross Keys
Then Riverside Lodge

Destroyed by fire. Remains demolished

Mill House,


Gateshead
Rob's Visit: 11/3/07
Rob's Score: 7


As of 2016.
Technically, the Mill House is not Gateshead, but Sunderland

Mississippi

Photo courtesy of Colin Scott

This was the Shakespeare Hotel, now The Portland. It was The Mississippi for only a short time

Moon & Sixpence

Formerly called British Lion


High St., Gateshead
Rob's Visit: 17/11/04
Rob's Score: 2


2016 Unlikely to open again

Moulders Arms   


Birtley, Gateshead 
Rob's Visit: 28/3/04
Rob's Score: 5

1858 C. Heslop
?         Harrison
1934 Hy. G. Roxby


As of 2016

Moulders' Arms

Durham Road, Low Fell

Now Betfred, next door to Belle Vue pub

1848 Isabella Boggon
1856 J. Boggon
1861 Mary Parkinson
1865 Thomas Lowrey
1874 A. A. McLaurin


Moulders' Arms

Oakwellgate

1850 R. Newton
1853 G. Dinning
1858 J. Patterson
1865 R. Curry
1879 T. Soulsby

Moulders' Arms

Felling Shore

1855 Isabella Boggin

Mountebanks

1811 Mr Gray


Mulberry aka Mulberry Tree Inn


This is replacement building which still stands as flats..see pic below
Pub was originally in the building that was once Felling Hall

Felling, Gateshead     
Rob's Visit: 30/01/05
Rob's Score: 2

1844 John Anderson Cook
1855 Archibald Brankston
1856 Dorothy Brankston
1877-82 Mrs Mary Clark
1894 Mrs Margaret McIntyre
1900 Hugh Gunn
1906 Samuel Watson
1907 Robinson & Anderson
1915 James Turnbull
1929 R. Nicholls

1931-39 James Deuchar Ltd
1934 Robert Chisolm




Why was it called Mulberry? Because Felling Hall had a mulberry tree. Lots of big houses did, encouraged by King James who wanted to create a silk industry in England and silk worms were fond of mulberry trees. We still have mulberry trees but are a tad short on silk worms. This pic is about 1880 when Mary Clark was the publican. That heading to the pic is misleading..Felling Hall was demolished long ago. Brandling School stands on or close to the site of Felling Hall






Now converted to flats